Kayaking is among the most famous water sports or recreational activity that can be undertaken by people from all age groups and different walks of life. This can be attributed to some benefits that are brought forth by this recreational activity.
In fact, if you were to ask any kayaking enthusiast, hobbyist or professional, they would all agree about how paddling through water currents in a kayak is full of advantages. For instance, it is not only immensely helpful in taking away all the worries of your day-to-day life and also offers truckloads of health benefits.
Here are five such benefits of kayaking, which will motivate you to ‘test the waters’ and pursue it as your hobby or even a profession. Take a look:
1. A great stress buster: There is no doubt about the fact that kayaking takes away all the stress from your mind. As and when you glide through the waters, it feels as if you are having a conversation with nature. This works no less than a therapy and helps you relax your mind and makes you calm instantly. The repetitive paddling motion gives you a sense of rhythm and works akin to meditation.
2. Mixes exercise with excursion: As you all are aware of, kayaking is a leisure activity. However, when you use kayak paddles and make your way through various water bodies, it serves no less than a physical exercise for you. This way, you end up losing oodles of weight without even making any conscious efforts in that direction. Moreover, it is a low impact activity, and therefore, there is no risk of excessive wear and tear in muscles or joints. Compare this with monotonous gym exercises, and you will understand why people will prefer kayaking any day!
3. Enhances your stamina: Kayaking on a regular basis provides the scope to improve your stamina like never before. For this purpose, you need not go on paddling for miles at once, but opt for short sessions each day and consistently work to increase the duration one step at a time. At the same time, this activity works on improving your overall fitness as well. This takes us to the next point.
4. Tones your entire body: It is a wrong notion that kayaking is an activity that targets mainly on exercising your upper torso that is your arms, shoulders and the chest part. On the contrary, it helps you opt for a full body exercise, including your abs, thighs, and bottom. This is owing to the fact that every muscle in your body is used to control and maneuver the kayak. What you need to keep in mind is to buy the perfect kayak accessories such as paddles, clothing, and helmet and you will be good to go.
5. Helps in weight loss: Kayaking allows you to burn hundreds of calories per hour naturally. For instance, you can burn up to 400 calories per hour, which is a pretty good figure! The best part here is that since it is an exciting and relaxing activity (refer to the points mentioned above), you will not feel tired or strained even after spending several hours in the water. The truth that, the more time you use, the more calories you will tend to burn. Simple!
These are just a handful of benefits, which are brought to the forefront by kayaking. Other than these, it also offers a sea of other advantages such as improving your hand-eye coordination, sharpening your senses, team building (when you opt for group kayaking) among others. So, if you have never tried your hand at kayaking, it is high time you do so and avail all these benefits for your health and much more. Cheers!